Friday, December 4, 2009

Book Review - Imagine a Day


I've never had a favorite picture book. There were many I enjoyed, but none have stood out in my mind as much as this 2005 Governor General's Literary Award for Illustrations book. Written by Sarah L. Thomson and illustrated by Rob Gonsalves.

This book comes alive as you turn the pages. The fifteen illustrations by Gonsalves capture you and the words compel and lift you off to a wondrous place where only the imagination can live.

My whole family read the book and we each picked our favorite page. None was the same. Mine was the last.


imagine a day...

... when a book swings open
on silent hinges,
and a place you've never seen before
welcomes you home.

Imagine . . . today

I wish I could have put some of these illustrations up for you to see for yourself. You will just have to use your own imagination. But this book is worth checking out at your local library, or if you have children ages 6-10 buying for yourself. I know I will.

I also discovered there is another one like it by the same team. Imagine a Night. Can't wait to check that one out as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment