Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy Independence Day!









I love this country. I sometimes feel like I am different from others. I hear The Star Spangled Banner sung, or God Bless the U.S.A. and tears usually come to my eyes.

Over two hundred years ago, fifty-six men gathered together with one object, for this great nation. These men centered around a piece of paper, a paper that once signed could mean not only their deaths, but the deaths of their families. They didn't have to do it, it was of their own free will. They mutually pledged, their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. That piece of paper was, The Declaration of Independence.

Throughout history there have been many such men. Men and women willing to die to keep this country free. Many great mothers have willingly sacrificed their son, young wives their husbands. But why?

Those of us who live here, take for granted what people in other countries long for. We are free. Free to worship, speak, and believe as we choose.

But freedom, isn't free. There is a high price to be paid for it. And screaming for "peace" and hoping evil people that want to dictate how our lives should be lived will jump on the "peace" bandwagon are gravely mistaken. Evil must be defeated, at any cost.

Not long ago I said to my oldest son, "What should you say to a soldier when you see one?"

"Thank you," he said.

And I send out my thanks today, and am filled with pride for this country I love. Which despite its many problems is still filled with great men and women who are willing to fight for freedom.

And may God Bless America!




No comments:

Post a Comment